What do you do with all the garden cucumbers? Pickle them. It is a great way to preserve them and they will be delightful all summer long. Enjoy the flavorful crunch! (Recipe yields 4-8oz Mason jars)
- 2 cups Pastorelli White Vinegar
- 4 cups H₂O
- ⅓ cup kosher salt
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 lb Cucumbers (garden or store bought.) Make sure the cucumbers are firm and not squishy. Squishy = soggy.
- 4 lg clove garlic rough chop. 1 for each jar.
- ½ Tsp. Mustard Seed. ⅛ tsp for each jar.
- Sprigs of fresh or 1 tsp dry Dill per jar. To taste.
Optional: ¼ tsp “extra crunch” for 1qt jar. – Mrs. Wages or Ball’s mix are both good.
Slice cucumbers, chop onions and garlic. Place onions, garlic, mustard seed, and “extra crunch” at the bottom of the jar. Tightly pack cucumbers into the jar, layering Dill in between.
In a saucepan, add water, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil. Immediately pour over cucumbers, filling to top leaving a ¼” head space. Tightly place on lid and let it sit on the counter for 24 hours. After 24 hours, place in the fridge and let sit for at least 2 weeks before use. Refrigerate for up to a year.